“And [mention] when Jesus, the son of Mary, said, “O children of Israel, indeed I am the messenger of Allah to you confirming what came before me of the Torah and bringing good tidings of a messenger to come after me, whose name is Ahmad.” But when he came to them with clear evidences, they said, “This is obvious magic.”
(Holy Quran 61:6)
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in the Holy Bible
There are numerous prophecies (sacred predictions) in the Holy Bible prophesizing the coming of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) without mentioning his name per se. Here is a study of some of these prophecies giving proof that they refer to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
‘I will raise them a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and I will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him.’ (Holy Bible Deuteronomy 18:18)
From Among Their Brethren
Here the Jews are addressed as a race and it is stated that a Prophet will be raised ‘from their brothers’. Now who are the ‘natural’ brothers of the Jews? Historically, Hazrat Ibrahim (Abraham AH) had two wives Hazrat Sarah and Hazrat Hajar (RA). Hazrat Hajar (RA) bore Hazrat Ibrahim (AS) one son named Hazrat Ishmail (Ismaeel AS).
Thirteen years later God grants Hazrat Ibrahim another son through Hazrat Sarah, named Hazrat Issac (Ishaq AS). So when Hazrat Ismail and Hazrat Ishaq are the sons of the same father Ibrahim (PBUT), then they must be BROTHERS!
The children of Hazrat Ishaq are the Jews and the children of Hazrat Ismail are the Arabs (Muslims) and so Jews and Muslims are brothers. Children of brothers are like ‘brothers’ (cousins). Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) is from the descendants of Hazrat Ismail and is thus a brethren of Israelites, the Jews. So indirectly this prophecy is referring to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
‘Like Unto Thee’
Second part of this verse states that ‘He will be like you’ meaning like Moses (Musa AH). So now we have to look for a prophet that is MOST like Moses.
How Hazrat Mosa (Moses AS) is Most like Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and not Hazrat Isa AH (Jesus) :
1. Father and Mother: Hazrat Musa had a father and a mother, Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) also had a father and mother, but Jesus only had a mother!
2. Miraculous Birth: Moses and Mohammad (PBUT) were born in the natural way but Jesus (PBUH) was created by a special miracle
3. Marriage: Both Hazrat Musa and Hazrat Muhammad (PBUH) married and had children, but Hazrat Isa (Jesus AH) remained a bachelor all his life
4. Acceptance by their people: Both Hazrat Musa and Prophet Mohammad (PBUT) were accepted as prophets by their people in their lifetime, but Jews until this day have never accepted Jesus (AS) as their prophet!
5. New Laws: Both Hazrat Musa and Hazrat Muhammad (PBUT) brought new laws and new regulations for their people but not Jesus (PBUH): ‘Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets; I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill for verily I say unto you, till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one title shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled (Holy Bible :Matthew 5:17-18)
6. How they died: Both Hazrat Musa and Hazrat Muhammad (PBUT) died natural deaths, but according to Christians and Jews, Jesus was violently killed on the cross, while according to Muslims Jesus (PBUH) was taken by God and will come back before the day of judgment to complete his worldly life.
7. Kingdom-ship: Both Prophet Musa and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) achieved full control and authority (government, kingdomship) over their people during their lifetimes. This is unlike Jesus (PBUH) who was continuously persecuted throughout his life til the end
Hazrat Isa (AS) said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my kingdom is from another place.” (Holy Bible: 18:36)
8. World’s Greatest Leaders: ‘Perhaps the greatest leader of all times was Muhammad (PBUH, SubhanAllah), who combined all three functions and to a lesser degree, Moses (PBUH), did the same.’ Jules Masserman- He put his own prophet Moses after Muhammad (PBUT), but no mention of Prophet Jesus (PBUH).
So according to these proofs MUHAMMAD is LIKE MOSES and JESUS IS UNLIKE MOSES (PBUT). This is another proof that the verse Deuteronomy 18:18 refers to Prophet Muhammad and not Prophet Jesus.
‘I will put my words in His mouth’
The prophecy proceeds further with the above statement. What does it mean? If one asks someone to read who has no knowledge and he starts reading with GOD’S will, that is the meaning of ‘I will put my words in His mouth.’ Prophet Muhammad was unlearnt and thus ‘words were put in his mouth’. This is the 3rd proof that this verse refers to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
‘And he shall speak unto them all that I command him’
This is the final proof that Deuteronomy 18:18 refers to prophet Muhammad (PBUH). It is a continuation of the above. What the prophet was made to read became the Holy Quran and what the Prophet said himself on his own became the Hadith (Sunnah, collection of his own sayings).
The Holy Bible also gives a warning concerning this prophecy in the very next verse:
‘And it shall come to pass that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will be the revenger’. Meaning God will take vengeance from him who does not listen to the words put in the mouth of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)!
This prophecy is similar to a verse below:
‘For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord Your God raise up unto You of Your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.’ (Holy Bible Acts: 3:22)
The Jews sent priests to Prophet Jesus (PBUH) and asked him three questions:
‘When the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, who art thou? And he confessed and denied not; but confessed, I am not the Christ. And they asked him, what then? Art thou Elias? And he saith, I am not. Art Thou THAT PROPHET? And he answered, NO.’ (Holy Bible John 1:21).
‘Art Thou That Prophet’
If we look up any Bible, we will find in the marginal note where the words ‘THAT PROPHET’ occur in this verse, that these words refer to the 1st prophecy mentioned above-Deuteronomy 18:18. Meaning Jesus denied that he was ‘THAT PROPHET’ meaning the Jews were expecting a prophet and Jesus confirmed that he wasn’t ‘that one’. That one refers to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)!
Prophet Muhammad Mentioned as ‘The Comforter’ in the Bible
‘But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.’ (Holy Bible John 14:26)
‘The comforter’ from ‘Paraclete’ in Hebrew refers to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). Holy Spirit also means Holy Prophet in the Bible. This is proved in the following prophecy:
‘Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: It is expedient for you that I go for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you, but if I depart, I will send him unto you.’ (Holy Bible John 16:7)
Spirit of Truth
‘Howbeit when he, the spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth’ (Holy Bible John 16:13)
Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) was known as a Trustworthy and Truthful person even before he claimed Prophethood. And Holy Quran does guide us to all truth. It has the answer to all humanities problems like alcoholism, hypersexuality, answer to problem of surplus women, answer to problem of racism, etc. This verse is thus referring to Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
‘For he shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall he speak; and he will show you things to come’ (Holy Bible John 16:13)
This is the continuation of verse above. And as discussed above, this is talking about the spirit of truth speaking only as God will order him to. And ‘he will show you many things to come’ refers to the many prophecies Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) himself foretold.
Therefore all this and much more proves that if we study carefully & with no bias, Prophet Muhammad’s (PBUH) coming was predicted in the Holy Bible plus the fact that he would bring the total and final truth from God Almighty.